News

Burnaby man, 22, pleads guilty to Cup riot charges

A 22-year-old Burnaby man has pleaded guilty for his role in the Stanley Cup riot last year.

Sean Yates pled guilty on April 17 to assaulting a police officer and participating in a riot, bringing the total of guilty pleas received by the courts to seven, says the Vancouver Police Department.

To date, the Integrated Riot Investigation Team has recommended to Crown 592 criminal charges against 200 suspected rioters. Of those, Crown counsel has approved 226 charges against 85 individuals.

Of the suspects, they range in age from 15 to 52, with the average age 21 years. People from outside of the City of Vancouver make up 84 per cent of suspects, including 24 from Burnaby.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
Province okays transit tax referendum question, with some tweaks
 
Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
 
Federal court denies Burnaby appeal
Rent controls here to stay, province says
 
Festival of Trees raises $1,200 for Mission Christmas Bureau
 
Second Langley farm hit by avian flu

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.