- BC Games
Hilton Metrotown evacuated due to suspected gas leak
The Hilton Vancouver Metrotown was evacuated Tuesday evening after a report of a suspected gas leak.
But no natural gas leak was ever found, said acting assistant fire chief Darcy O'Shea.
Burnaby fire crews responded at about 7:30 p.m. after someone reported the smell of what was believed to be natural gas. The hotel was evacuated while firefighters and technicians from FortisBC and the company that services the hotel's HVAC systems checked out the situation using gas analyzing equipment.
"The Fortis technician found one of the HVAC units on the roof did not seem to be igniting properly," O'Shea said. The unit was shut down, but the issue would not have been the source of a natural gas leak.
"Nobody ever did find a reading for natural gas," said O'Shea.
Once the fire department gave the all clear, the hotel's guests were allowed back inside. The last fire truck left the scene at about 10 p.m.