Murder victim identified
The man killed in a South Burnaby shooting incident on Sunday has been identified as 46-year-old Jahanbakhsh Meshkati.
While initially police said he was from Alberta, Meshkati's last-known address was in the Toronto area, said the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team on Tuesday.
He died after being shot several times just after 10:30 p.m. Aug. 10 near Robert Burnaby Park around Second Street and 19th Avenue.
IHIT continues to seek a motive for the murder and said there are so far no suspects or arrests in the case. It said on Monday that the victim was known to police.
“While this investigation is in the very early stages IHIT can confirm that evidence gathered thus far suggests this to be a targeted attack,” IHIT Staff Sgt. Jennifer Pound said at the time.
Anyone with any information about the homicide is asked to contact the IHIT tipline at 1-877-551-4448 or, to remain anonymous, Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.